Monday, August 9, 2010

Creamy Mushroom Barley Soup with Prosciutto & Sage Brown Butter



I really should just call this soup O.M.G!!! I can't believe I created this soup!!. I am in shock and awe!! Maybe I have a bias to judge this soup because I'm proud of it. This is the first time I have cooked with barley and was pleasantly surprised! The barley is similar to the texture of rice but a thickening agent like a legume (bean). I love the earthiness of the mushrooms and leeks together, and then when it couldn't get tasty enough I added sage brown butter! WHAT??? If you haven't tried it than you really are missing out on greatness. Sage Brown Butter is just sage sauteed in butter over medium heat until it turns brown, sounds simple right?!! Well it is and worth the minute it takes to make it. I first experienced this awesomeness when I saw a recipe from Giada on http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/crostini-alla-romana-recipe/index.html... I knew instantly that Sage Brown butter was the Mecca of food pleasure. I honestly could go on and on about it, but I wont. I just hope that you try it and put it on anything you think butter would taste good with. I should probably get back to the soup I made because it is the reason for this post, sorry I got side tracked, but you will understand once you make it. This soup was created when I was sitting home and had all the produce and other products I love in the refridgerator . I wanted something creamy and had some leftover red onion, leeks, and Chicken stock. I also had this package of barley I picked up because it looked interesting. This will be on the Thanksgiving menu for sure. I love the texture and flavor of every spoonful. I didn't want to share this soup, but the family needs to eat so I had to give up a couple bowls....boooo.... Luckly Princess Teagan was just as thrilled as I was to eat it. I love that kid. She will try anything I make from sctrach, I couldn't ask for a better daughter! ( luv u Tinky Winky!)

Creamy Mushroom Barley Soup with Prosciutto & Sage Brown Butter

  1. 1 tbsp olive oil
  2. 1 cup sliced leeks
  3. 1 cup red onion ( chopped)
  4. 8 oz sliced button mushrooms
  5. 2 stalks of celery
  6. 3 cloves garlic ( minced)
  7. 1 bay leave
  8. 5 slices of prosciutto
  9. 1/2 cup pearl barley
  10. 14 oz of beef stock
  11. 28 oz of chicken stock
  12. 10 fresh sage leaves
  13. 1/2 cup heavy cream
  14. 4 tbsp butter
  15. kosher salt and black pepper to taste

Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees, Saute the leeks, onions, celery, mushrooms, prosciutto & garlic in a stock pot, season with salt and pepper. When the veggies are soft add the bay leaf and barley along with both stocks and 2 sage leafs chopped. bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, simmer for 1 hour. The soup with be very thin, either use an immersion blender or a regular blender and puree the soup. Add the soup back to the heat and add the cream. the soup should be a creamy texture. While the soup is simmering in a saute pan add the butter and sage leaves over medium heat and brown the butter. Also put the prosciutto on foil and place in oven for 5 minutes or until crispy. Plate the soup in a bowl, top with prosciutto, fried sage leaves, and brown butter, season to taste with salt and pepper. ENJOY!!!

No comments: